The phrase “best criminal defense attorney” is searched frequently in Oregon. Based on data kept by major search engines, the following specific questions are frequently searched for:
- Who is The Best Criminal Defense Attorney in Oregon?
- Who is the Best DUI Attorney in Oregon?
- Who is The Best Criminal Defense Attorney in Portland?
- Who is the Best DUI Attorney in Portland?
The exact details on who is making these inquiries or doing theses searches is not typically revealed, but it’s most likely a combination of the following:
- Prospective clients (people who’ve been charged with a crime and are looking for the best person to hire to actually represent them)
- Lawyers (looking to check out where they stand, how they rank or compare with their competitors)
- Law students (looking to see who they can learn from, or possibly work for)
- Marketers (attorneys are literally bombarded with calls and emails daily from marketers wanting to sell attorneys “Best Criminal Defense Attorney” or “Top 100 Best Criminal Defense Attorney” plaques and award memberships)
Who is the Best Criminal Defense Attorney in Oregon?
The fact of the matter is that there is no objective way and no definitive way to determine who is the best criminal defense attorney in Oregon– or anywhere else. The best criminal defense attorney is the attorney able to get the client the result the client desires, ethically and legally, with the least amount of expense or disruption to the client’s life. If you think about it, this definition is very simple, but it truly is accurate.
Here are some important considerations for finding the best criminal defense attorney in Oregon:
- For the person charged with a crime who has modest finances, the best criminal defense attorney is the attorney that can be appointed to that person at no charge. Public defenders are often over-worked and therefore a common complaint is that they cannot devote the same amount of time to a given client or the same amount of effort and resourced to a client’s cases that a private attorney could, but many public defenders are dedicated and experienced. In addition, having a busy attorney is without a doubt better than having no attorney at all.
- For the person under investigation, but not yet charged, the best criminal defense attorney is likely the attorney who can help the client avoid engaging in criminal activity altogether by counseling the client as to the law. For situations where a crime may have already been convicted, the best criminal defense attorney is likely the one who can help the client protect their rights, and mitigate or minimize the consequences that follow from a possible charge.
- For the person charged with a crime who has very serious exposure to a criminal conviction, the best criminal defense attorney is the attorney that can put the client in the best possible light, negotiate with the prosecutor, plea bargain the case, and convince the judge to impose a fair and appropriate sentence.
- For the person charged with a crime who has everything on the line– their job, their family, their reputation– the best criminal defense attorney for them is the attorney who is experienced in the courtroom, proficient in trials, knowledgeable about the rules of evidence, capable of picking the most fair jury, a strong advocate for the client, and a powerful persuader.
If you are looking for the best professional at any job, there are many considerations and there is much work to be done in the analysis. Thankfully, most criminal defense attorneys do not charge for initial consultations, and those that do charge only a modest fee. This means a prospective client can sit down with several attorneys to really find the best fit for the client’s needs.